Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pets, sweets and walks.

Tomorrow morning is my PET scan. (I tried to post another picture of it, but it was messing up the blog. If you want to see what it looks like, click here.) This will determine how many more chemo treatments I'll have. There are a lot of rules I have to follow to prepare for the test. One is no sugar or caffeine for 24 hours prior. During the summer when I had this done, it wasn't as hard to refrain. I did go to a wedding that day and wasn't allowed to eat cake, but other than that, I was okay. Oh...wait...there was the little matter of no coffee at that time. Okay...so maybe I wasn't okay after all. The point I'm trying to make, though, is that working and not eating sweets is much harder. When you work at a school, there are always a lot of sweets. Today there was chocolate cake for lunch, cupcakes in the lounge for a birthday, a baby shower after work...with cake. All of which I declined politely. There was even someone handing out homemade pralines in the halls! Thanks, Kathi. Sheesh...what a day for fasting. More rules to follow are drink lots of water, no strenuous activity or exercise and relax! Speaking of relaxing...

I came home early from work yesterday. I tried to get away the day before, but one of my kids wouldn't have it. So, I left yesterday and crashed. I'm not sure I've been this tired before. I didn't feel like I could even function. After all the other chemo treatments, I've had at least 3 days or so to rest, with one of them being Labor Day weekend. I didn't have that this time and I think it finally caught up with me. I slept for hours. Woke up to eat then slept until this morning. Was much, MUCH better today!!! My "skin" pain is gone, too. Yea!

On another note, most of my extended family live in Colorado. Tonight is their "Light the Night" walk. All of them are participating on my behalf. Light the Night benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. I've been talking to my cousin, Shelley, and just got off the phone with my aunt Marsha. They had a blast! There was free food from a variety of restaurants (Applebee's, Chipotle, Chicago's Best Pizza, etc.) as well as ice cream, chips, etc. They all got their faces painted with my name in purple. AND there were live bands. Go here to find one near you: lightthenight.org I'm in the process of getting a team set up for here on October 19th. Details to follow soon...

Well...I guess that's it for now. I'll write about how it goes tomorrow. Last time I was stuck in a room reading men's health magazines. What could be more fun? Wish me luck...

3 comments:

Andi said...

Hey Kim! The light the night walks are amazing...I know you are honored to have your family walk in your name. I'm glad the rest helped yesterday and I think about you and your family all the time. Your kids are SO incredibly lucky to have such an amazing teacher...you have a strength and heart that are nothing short of incredible!
Andi

Linda. F. said...

We shall all be waiting right here for the good news Kim! (((( >:< ))))

Jessica Elliott said...

I can't wait for the results....just go ahead and call me page stalker. SO happy the skin pain is gone, one more obstacle overcome, woo hoo!!! Get some good rest this weekend, you deserve it! big hugs!!!