Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ouch.

Not to sound whiny, but OUCH. I hurt. :( It's hard to describe the pain, exactly. My skin is very sensitive to touch and hurts, but I don't think it's actually my skin. I'm sure it's more my muscle or bone or nerves or whatever else is in there. It's so sensitive, though, that even clothes hurt. I mean...I'm wearing them, but that could cause a problem tomorrow. :)

This is the first side effect of this kind for this treatment. I still have headaches on and off...couldn't sleep much last night. But I haven't noticed any of the mouth and tooth sensitivity that came with the first 2 treatments. We started the shots last night and that could be where the pain is coming from, though it's ALL OVER and not just in the rapidly-producing-bone-marrow-places. Other than that, it's been okay. Still tired, as usual. I sound like a broken record when it comes to that. I do have to go see the doctor tomorrow because the incision to my mediport is red and swollen. We'll see what happens with that.

Now I have a funny story that I meant to write about Saturday. On Friday, Matt and I were waiting in the waiting room before chemo. Texas Oncology has a lot of brochures and whatnot about cancer there...obviously. Matt decides to pick one called "Take the Eating Smart Quiz". Basically it rates you on how much oil and fat, dairy, snacks, etc you eat. We both took it, scores next to each other. We turn to the back to find out how we rate. That's when I notice I could've forfeited the whole quiz. We scored "Not Bad". The next step is to review the Dietary Guidelines. These are the dietary guidelines to REDUCE THE RISK OF CANCER. Ha! Still strikes me as funny. If you don't know me, that may seem harsh and uncalled for, but so are all of my other cancer comments. Just ask my friends and family...I've gotten a lot of "Don't say that!" lately. I asked my mom one day if she was paying for my dinner because she thought I was dying. She didn't laugh. She does now, though, and even makes comments herself. I was so proud! I'm obviously kidding and I'm not dying. I have to make jokes about it, though. If not... This is something that will suck you down with it if you take it too serious.

Anyhow...I'm starving now and must go eat. I'm supposed to "listen to my body", according to former patients. And it's telling me I'm in desperate need of food.

Thanks and goodnight!

8 comments:

Linda. F. said...

((((hugs))))) and you really DO have a wonderful sense of humor!

Hope the pain on your skin stops tonight!

Jessica Elliott said...

Here I am, stalking your page again...ha! Having a good sense of humor is the BEST medicine so keep up that funny attitude! I hope the sensitivity goes away soon because we don't need any naked school teachers in the house :) although...wonder if you could get away with it if you had a doctor's note heehee :) jk
Have a wonderful night and hope you wake up tomorrow feeling better!

Jessica said...

And again I will say "You are my hero"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (nothing can take your sarcasm away) Love you!

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Well, it has been so long since I have seen you. I talked with your Mom at the RV show a couple of weeks ago, and then we started having computer problems. I just wanted you to know we are thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers. I want to read more of your blog as I get a chance. You are an inspiring young lady and hope you start to feeling better real soon. I know you have a long road ahead, just take one day at a time..We love you, and will be checking on you. Sherree and Dudley

Elaine T. said...

Kim,
You just never cease to amaze me! Your sense of humor, your insight, your strength - each one an inspiration to me! I learn from you every day what it means to face adversity and come out on top.
Great news! I just looked, and "naked" is not listed under the "not appropriate" column of our dress code policy!
Et

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, I just had my first chemo yesterday 9/3. I guess that's is officially yesterday since it's 2a and I can't sleep. I DIDN'T look at the needle and glad I didn't - it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected though. I also had nurse Katie and we both commented on what a fantastic woman you are to do all you do w/your kids and deal with cancer. I had a friend go w/me that is just finishing up nursing school and she found everything facinating. We watched a movie on my portable DVD player so it went fast (of course after I finally got back to the lounge). Thanks for sharing all you do.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Im finally able to leave my comment thanks to your help. Kim, working with you has been wonderful. Everyday I admire your strength and patience with all of us (kids,co-workers). My prayers are with you daily and I want you to know that we are will help you in anyway possible.

Anonymous said...

"I asked my mom one day if she was paying for my dinner because she thought I was dying." Good one! I'm betting she gave the "that's not funny, Kim" look. LOL

Love ya.