Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chemo treatment #4

I'M HALF WAY DONE!!!!! Yea!!!!

Yesterday was my fourth chemo treatment. That puts me at the halfway mark. All the specifics are the same as the other three. I had Nurse Katie again and all the drugs were the same. My vitals were good: temp: 98.6, BP: 126/89. There are 3 other drugs at the very end I don't think I've ever written about. All 3 are used to flush the mediport and reduce the risk of infection. One of those medicines is Heparin. Heparin is a blood thinner, or anticoagulant, used to prevent blood clots in your port catheter line. This is also the drug that Dennis Quaid's twins almost overdosed on. Not sure what the other 2 are, but I'll find out next time. All I know is they feel very cold while going through the port.

Speaking of, I'm not sure I ever really mentioned that about the chemo meds. They're below my body temperature. That's why I always get so cold during chemo. I didn't during this one, however. I was pretty comfortable. I slept again. So soundly that Matt had to shake my leg. I was breathing...um...loudly. :)

So far, the side effects have been minimum. No nausea or stomach cramps, but the dreaded insomnia is creeping back. It was after 3 this morning by the time I went to bed. I figure I can sleep all day if I want, so I'm not too concerned about it right now. And what a perfect day to stay in bed!!! These are my favorite types of days. I do plan on baking something today. I owe my brother something special. Apparently the cookies I sent the other day weren't enough. Yes, my only sibling whom I love, Mom told me. You're so busted...

That's all for now. I'll update later. :)

3 comments:

Linda. F. said...

It has been a good day to sleep in. I did go out this morning briefly but the weather man said the worst of this storm is just about to hit us. Wind and rain will be the leftovers of this hurricane.

Send some cookies over to my school please?

Anonymous said...

In my defense, I was under the impression that there were going to be MORE cookies! I deserve more than six!! Looking forward to the next aforementioned treat. ;)

I can't believe you're already halfway done! I told you this was going to be quick. But you never did listen to your older, WISER sibling. You're my freaking hero and I love you so much!!!

P.S. Finally confirmation of what I always told you at Oma and Grandpa's. I couldn't sleep because of your snoring...I mean loud breathing.

Jessica Elliott said...

Kim....you sure do have a sweet brother, one that has to constantly remind you that he's older AND wiser....haha! Kim, you are a hero to a lot of people already and your army is strong! Much love to you sweet girl!