Thursday, September 11, 2008

Radiation, schmadiation.

Today was my appointment with the radiation oncologist. We were taken back to a room where I was asked a million questions...about my health history, how I found my cancer, etc. I didn't know much about radiation except what I read in my book from the other day. Here's what I found out:

Cancer can be treated three ways: chemo, radiation or a combination of both. There's an increase in the chance of cancer coming back by doing just chemo or just radiation. Also, the side effects of each are worse because treatment is usually longer. By doing a combination of the two, there's a decrease in side effects and a decrease in the chance of the cancer coming back. My radiation will be external. The machine looks like this:


Each appointment will last about an hour. The actual radiation time is 1-5 minutes. The other 55-59 minutes will be spent getting me perfectly situated so the radiation hits in exactly the same place every time. Speaking of...

Up until this point, I was told radiation would only be done on my neck. Not so. It'll also be done on the middle part of my chest. More specifically, it'll target my windpipe where the cancer had spread. Now, in order for the same spot to be targeted every time, my skin will be marked with colored ink or tattooed with tiny dots.

I listed the majority of the side effects in the last blog. I will have 20 days of treatment, 5 days a week with Saturday and Sunday used for "rest time". Treatment will start 2-3 weeks after my last chemo.

I did ask about my chances of radiation causing a second cancer later in life. This was my main concern. According to the National Cancer Institute, cancer survivors have a 14 percent higher risk of developing a new primary malignancy compared with the general population. Basically that means my genetic makeup will make that more likely to happen because I already have cancer. Great. My doctor today confirmed that. For more information on second cancers, go here: http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/benchmarks-vol7-issue1/page1 This will fill you in on radiation-related solid cancers and radiation-related leukemias.

Tomorrow is my next chemo. This will complete my 2nd cycle. Yea!!! I'll post about that later.

Thanks and goodnight.

3 comments:

Jessica Elliott said...

we wont think about second cancers because 14% isnt a very big number so no stressing over that! yay for tomorrow completing two cycles! you are moving right along sweet kim! i hope and pray for less side effects so that you may have a relaxing weekend :)

Linda. F. said...

Kim, you need to keep your focus on the treatment now. Don't worry about the future. All of us have the potential to develop some form of cancer every day of our lives. If you concentrate on the "what ifs" you lose much of "the now".

Let the future take care of itself. It always does. (((HUGS))

Kimberly 'Riggle' Franek said...

I'm not worried, per se. Just a fact. And like this...if it happens, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. :)