Saturday, August 30, 2008

Chemo treatment #3

Well, this was the hardest treatment so far. Not the treatment itself, but the after effects. We got there at 12:45 and were actually taken back on time. No emergencies this time. I sat in my usual chair in the corner and was given my Tylenol and Benadryl. I had Nurse Katie again and she hooked me up to the mediport, which hurts going in less often each time. It stings a bit once it's in and I can feel most of the drugs running through it. I never actually looked at the needle until yesterday. Big mistake. It's the size of a small nail. Looks similar to this:
Mine isn't a butterfly needle like this one, but has a cover over the top of it. You can see it in the other 2 chemo albums.

Blood was drawn again from the mediport and my numbers came back good. The saline drip and Aloxi/Decadron drip were started. Following that was Ativan, my happy juice. My vitals were good, except for my blood pressure, which was high. Temp: 98.2, BP: 136/94, Pulse: 89. The chemo drugs were given in a different order this time starting with the push in drugs: Adriamycin and Vinblastin. Next came the Bleomycin, followed by the 2 hour Decarbazine drip.

As you can tell from some of the pictures, I fell asleep this time. I've been so exhausted the past few days. Starting school can do that I guess. And going to see Tom Petty on Wednesday night probably had a little something to do with it. :) It was well worth it, though. Matt and I got tickets for my mom for Mother's Day. We had a blast and Tom was awesome! I have a list of friends and family that I send out text messages to to keep them updated through the process. This time, unfortunately, they didn't get the full rundown. Sleep interfered and I kinda left them hanging. Sorry, guys!

I have 4 new kiddos this year, bringing my total up to 12. I'm starting to get worn out more easily. I come home and rest most days. It was hard leaving my kids yesterday afternoon. Only a couple of them can grasp that I'm going to the doctor. They don't know much of my diagnosis and I'm not sure how to explain it to them. I just prepare them that I'm only there a half a day. One of my 5th grade boys actually hugged me, told me he loved me and wished me good luck.

I have more nausea this time than last time. I've noticed the increase each time I have treatment. It starts a couple of hours after treatment and I still have it now. It's really more stomach cramps. I can eat little meals, and have, but for the most part, I'm not very hungry. I've had a headache on and off, as well.

Remember in my previous blogs I've mentioned the fact that I'm stubborn??? Well...I still have my hair. According to the professionals, hair loss occurs 14-17 days after your 1st treatment. I'm about 2 weeks overdue and my hair hasn't even thinned yet. That's not saying I'm not going to lose it, but as Matt and Nurse Katie confirmed yesterday, I'm a freak. :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it holds. 2% of people keep their hair, but Nurse Kelly (my 1st chemo nurse) says she's been doing this a long time and has never seen someone keep their hair. We'll see!

Something funny I should add, too. On Fridays at my school, we can wear jeans and a school shirt. I wore my GPISD Wellness shirt. I liked the irony of wearing a wellness shirt to chemo. HA! I take humor where I can find it.

Well, that's all for now. I'm pretty tired, as usual. I'll keep this updated on my side effects. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if THAT needle is a small nail, then the one they used in bone marrow test is a javelin. Yikes is all I can say.

<3,
Matt

Jessica Elliott said...

I feel like such a stalker on your page because I have it saved as a favorite and I check it daily. My prayers are always with you of course! Sorry you are having more side effects...what's the lame ol saying, no pain no gain? Well, you are trucking right along...each step closer to being DONE!!! I can remember the first chemo album and now there's 3...can't wait to see the FINAL chemo album posted!!! Much love to you sweet Kim and I'm going to guess I'm not the only 'page stalker' :) Here's to hoping that beautiful hair stays!!!
You keep it up and even when you feel like you cant, you WILL because that's God promise! xoxo :)

Linda. F. said...

Hi Kim! Was waiting to hear from you again in here. Am sorry it is making you so tired. Rest when you can...do not worry about the hair.
((((((((((hugs))))))))) >:<

Rachel said...

I know from being a parent of one of "your" kids...that even if they cannot state that they will miss you...they do. I'm grateful that mine can and doe's and curious who was the 5th grade boy who did. That is a great success story in it's self. We love you and will continue to pray for less side effects and that the next chemo treatment will be one of the lasts. I pray the next scan will provide good news!! Know that I'm a "page stalker" too and care deeply about you so keep us posted.

Jessica said...

I'm sad to hear that you aren't feeling well! I pray for you everyday and wish I could make you all better just by will! That is awesome that you haven't lost any hair, you are so stubborn! (that is one of the reasons that I love you!) Take care Kim!

Sarah said...

Kim,
Keep being stubborn and finding the humor where ever you can. I am inspired by your positive attitude at work! Thanks for being a great teammate! Wishing you only the best :-)

Sarah

D said...

It was so good to see you last Friday when Jenn and I came to Moseley. You look FANTASTIC and your attitude is amazing! Please do not ever forget the power of prayer...it works! You are an inspiration!
Denise Russell

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you....I can not tell you how I admire your strength and positive attitude in dealing with this. I hate that you have to go through this and would take it from you in an instant. I love you so much...Mom