Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More pain, no gain.

Let me first apologize for not updating sooner. I let life get in the way and my laziness took over. Oops! Prepare for a long blog...really. Stock up on food and water. It's gonna be a long night...

Things have been okay. A lot of ups and downs the past couple of days. There's been some baking going on around here. :)

I had my first checkup yesterday and the news was good and bad:

Good news: I might only have to do 3 cycles of chemo instead of 4. Each "cycle" is 2 treatments. So basically, 1 cycle is a month's worth of chemo. Make sense?? I guess the easier way to say that is 3 months of chemo instead of 4. This will be determined after my second cycle of chemo. I'll be getting another PET scan done. If the cancer is gone, only one more cycle. If there are still signs, then all 4 cycles.

Bad news: my white blood count (WBC) was extremely low. This is called neutropenia and is expected during chemo. It was .7. A .5 would have had me admitted to the hospital for infection, regardless of if there was one or not. They can't administer the chemo until my WBC is 1.2. I had mentioned in my blog "reality strikes" that I would possibly have to take Neupogen shots everyday for this. I'll be giving them to myself, or rather Matt's the one who learned how to do it, for 8 days after each chemo treatment. The shots are given in my stomach, rotating sides. The feeling is not great, but the side effects are worse. Always a catch-22 with these meds. Yes, it'll help my WBC, which is great, but the side effect?? Bone pain. Yep. Since Neupogen causes the bone marrow to produce more white blood cells, the byproduct of this is bone inflammation. I'll experience it in my back, the long bones in my legs and in my sternum, since these have the highest percentage of bone marrow. Unfortunately, it's not a possible side effect, but a probable one. Yippee!

We also talked about the radiation. I'll have an appointment soon with that doctor to discuss the treatment procedure and length of treatment. My oncologist's nurse said that the treatment is usually 5 days a week and there are usually 16-18 treatments. More on that when I learn.

Other than that, my vitals were good--temp: 97.9 blood pressure: 116/64 (which is low for me considering I've been on high blood pressure meds for 5 years due to heredity. Thanks, Dad.) I have lost 3 pounds since my last chemo treatment. Not because of lack of food, but because it's changing my taste buds. I'm only craving healthy foods. Blah! I'd rather have Mexican food anyday (and did yesterday), but just can't seem to want it. That's torture for Matt and I, who eat Mexican food at least 4 times a week. I've cut down on carbonated drinks and have almost cut out fried food. Bor-ing!!!

My next treatment is Friday. I'm hoping for the same results as last time. Well...with a little less insomnia. At least I know what is expected and will go in more confident than the first time.

Now...for something else NOT about me. Well...sort of. My librarian, Elaine, found the coolest thing thanks to her daughter! There are some very colorful binders and folders available at your local stores that some of the proceeds go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Go here for details: http://www.jackiemcfee.com/main2.php Once there, click on the Kendall Collection tab. You can read the story and find the nearest store. I know that Elaine found hers at Staples. Yea!!!! I'll also be participating in the Light the Night walk, hosted by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Once I have a team and date set up, I'll post the info on that.

Time for dinner now. Thanks and good night.

11 comments:

Linda. F. said...

Thank you for the update Kim. Sending you more ((HUGS)) and many prayers and positive thoughts!

Melissa said...

And you said that you have not had anything to say. I think that you said a lot. You looked GREAT today.

Jessica Elliott said...

Hi sweet Kim! So glad you were able to update! The prayer focus is going to be on less pain, more gain and a clean PET scan :) I know its all a bummer to go through but just keep telling yourself this is only temporary and after this week you will already have two treatments out of the way! Oh, and keep baking...fatten Bryan up hee hee ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh, I wanna be on your team to walk!! *raises hand*

Mel said...

Just thinking about you. We love you so, so, so, so, so much!!

Anonymous said...

HEY WE ARE REGISTERED TO WALK HERE OUR TEAM NAME IS "PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS" SHELLEY THOUGHT OF THAT NAME. ONCE WE GET OUR SITE ALL SET UP WE WILL LET YOU KNOW SO YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. You are so strong! I read a good book this summer named See Sam Run. It is about a mother who can't figure out what is wrong with her child and goes through the ups and downs of finding out he has Autism. It's a good book for those sleepless nights. If you want, I can drop it off to your mom at school. Hang in there. You are such a fighter. I would love to walk on a team, so let us know how that works.

Shawna Brown

Jim B. said...

I told you Sunday that you were my "hero", Honey, and I really meant it! I am so damn proud of you and your spirit. We all knew going in to this that there would be ups and downs. Just remember that it is temporary (to quote Jessica). Sorry to hear you lost your cravings for Mexican food....poor Matt!! Love you ALWAYS. DAD---

P.S. Let me know about the walk. I bet I can beat Bryan!!!

Anonymous said...

Kim, you are such a positive and upbeat person. My 18 year old daughter received the exact same diagnosis as you on July 17 (one day after you)and started her chemo the monday after your first one. She will have her second treatment on this coming Monday. Your story is inspiring and since you are a few days ahead of her, I read your blog to know what to expect..I am praying for you for a complete healing. God Bless!.

Jessica said...

Love you!

Holly n Shawn said...

Kim... From my experience God does not give us more than we can handle. You are an amazing person and have improved the lives of many! We love you dearly! You are in our thoughts and prayers. Hope to see you soon.

The Cook's (and Green boys)

~Holly