Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'll take "sleep" for $500.

So as the days wear on, I've noticed having a few more side effects of the medicine. Just my body's way of saying, "What the hell???" The first night, I had a strange tingling sensation in my legs. It went away the next day. Also-and this is odd-but my teeth feel funny. Almost like a burning sensation. What chemo does is target and destroy rapidly growing cancer cells. Unfortunately, there are 3 other cells that grow just as rapidly that the chemo doesn't quite know the difference in: hair follicles (resulting in hair loss), bone marrow, and the cells in your mouth. Chemo actually kills the cells that produce saliva causing dry mouth. I ate a grape tonight and it might as well have been a jalapeno. Of course, the more I eat, the less I notice it. That's a good solution I plan on sticking to. :)

Another, and more annoying side effect, is insomnia. I've never been one to have any trouble sleeping. Anytime, anywhere. Now I've had trouble sleeping the past couple of months (not due to this, I don't think), but to add to that, one of my antinausea meds causes insomnia. Yippee!! I was told to take 2 Benadryl (which I did) and still...no sleep. Now don't get the wrong impression. I'm tired. But the Sandman and I have not been on the friendliest of terms lately.

Oh well. So it goes. There's always going to be some side effect, something minor, that I'll be experiencing. I didn't know what else to do, so here I sit and write.

Now, I must try to get some sleep. Thanks and good night.

5 comments:

Linda. F. said...

Try Lavender scented products Kim because the scent of Lavender brings peace of mind and helps prepare the mind to relax and sleep. There is a whole world of scent therapy to try. Whole Foods has a good scent center with people who can help direct you to oils that can help many problems simply by smelling them. ((HUGS)) and hope this suggestion helps.
Linda Ferguson

Jessica said...

Blesss your heart! I am all about sleeping, I can't imagine not being able to.

Anonymous said...

My sweet baby.....I hope you slept last night.
Love you
Mom

Unknown said...

I found a whole new cookbook of fun cookies. I've been trying some of them out this summer. I'll bring it to school and you can try it out. When you're up you might as well eat chocolate! :-)

Adwell said...

Ewwwww... no sleep sucks. I got a back massage for $500. That might help you... :-)

...Okay, okay. It's on the house.