Friday, July 25, 2008

Medical mumbo jumbo and other stuff.

Since I didn't have any interesting or graphic testing today (FINALLY), I thought I'd fill you in on the medical aspects of Hodgkin's. One thing I forgot to add yesterday is about my stage. I'm officially classified Stage 2, which means there are two or more lymph node regions on the same side of the diaphragm that are affected. Also, there are different types of Hodgkin's. Mine is Nodular sclerosis (NS). "The lymph nodes in the lower neck, chest and collarbone usually contain normal and reactive lymphocytes and Reed-Sternberg cells separated by bands of scar-like tissues. NS accounts for 60-70% of Hodgkin's cases. NS appears to account for the increase in Hodgkin's cases in recent years." (taken from http://www.lymphomainfo.net/hodgkins/diagnosis.html)

The type of chemo I'll be getting is ABVD. It's one of the most common chemotherapy regimens for Hodgkin's. This will be administered through the Mediport. Yes, there actually is a use for that...not just something for me to complain about. :) You can read all about the drugs and their lovely side effects here: http://www.lymphomainfo.net/therapy/chemotherapy/abvd.html

My plan is to eventually post some pictures. Surgery pics and whatnot for those of you who like that sorta thing. I mean...I don't. I can look down at the actual wounds and cringe. I certainly don't want pictures. But for those of you who do (Dad and Melony...), they'll be up soon.

One last thing for the night...a story about my oncologist's office. One thing about my family is we definitely leave an impression wherever we go. This is not a news flash to most of you. Yesterday at my oncologist's office, the secretary preceded to tell me that after we left the office the first time, she told the whole rest of the office about us. I wrote in one of my blogs that there were about 30 people there. Okay...not literally, but close. She couldn't get over how wonderful that was. What struck a chord with me was what she said after that: "I can't tell you how lucky you are...most people here don't have that." Wow. Talk about a slap in the face. I thought that was normal. You know, for everyone to come and just...be there. I mean, sheesh. Even my family from Colorado wanted to drive down just to be here this week. We had to talk them out of it. I can't imagine doing this without the love and support of my family and friends. I am lucky.

Okay...enough mushy stuff. More gross, turn-your-stomach stuff soon. Check back. Thanks and goodnight.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

You have a GREAT family and that and all of your friends are going to be there for you to help you get though this time. You are a great person and are going to beat this hands down.... Love ya
melissa

Melony Booher said...

Well - luckily you are a very easy person to love:).

Jessica Elliott said...

this is the part where the tears start flowing....i've been friends with bryan since 6th grade. im not sure if you remember me or not but i remember you :) bryan always used to give you such a hard time when you would come in to his room :) well he told me about what is going on. i just want you to know that you have been in my prayers since the day he told me. you are so beautiful and after reading up on this, i know you will be fine and this will soon be nothing but a memory. you keep your head up and stay strong! you have the best support system anyone could ask for! with love always! jessica elliott