Thursday, July 24, 2008

Done.

We got some bad news today. The results from Monday's PET scan came in. The cancer has spread. There are a couple of spots on the same side of my neck and a spot by my windpipe. Depending on the results from today's test, the chemo could change. Unfortunately though, radiation has been added to the mix. About a month of it or so. Yea. My oncologist also told me I would most definitely lose my hair.

Today I had the bone marrow test. I'll save you the details on that, but basically it looks like this (feel free to cringe):


And I was lying about the details. I live them...you have to hear about them. :)

Matt and I met Mom at the oncologist's office this morning. I had blood drawn (AGAIN! Grrrr...) then we went back to the exam room. My husband went back with me for moral support. The entire process was explained to us and I was then able to take one of my anti-anxiety meds. I changed into the gown and hopped up on the table. I was to lay face down (also very fun with the Mediport) and then start the narcotic lollipop. That looks like this:

Had no specific flavor, just sweet. Well, guess what? About half way through, I start breaking out into hives. Had to stop the lollipop. :( Turns out they were just from nerves. Anyhow...the procedure starts with marking the spot. Basically I could feel a lot of pressure on my hip as she tries to figure out where to take the bone marrow. I'm slathered down with more yellow dye and the numbing process begins. After about 10 little pricks of anesthetic, my hip was completely numb. The needle was injected and all I could feel was pressure. The weird thing is you can actually feel the needle in your bone. It doesn't hurt at all...just a weird sensation. Then she did lots of jiggling and kept complimenting me on how hard my bones are. After about 15 minutes, the marrow was extracted and the wound was cleaned. I had to lay there for a minute on my back to put pressure on it to stop the bleeding. Then I got dressed and was free to go.

I start my first session of chemotherapy next Friday. Shortly after is when I'll lose my hair. She actually gave me a prescription for a wig.

Now it's time for bed. It's been an emotionally draining and exhausting day. And now I can add physically painful to the list. The anesthetic has worn off and the hip (and yes, still the Mediport) hurt. At least there's nothing tomorrow!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you, and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I've let everyone at Florence Hill know what you are going through, and you will be in all our prayers. There is power in prayer!!
Traci Davis

Anonymous said...

Kim,
We are thinking about you. Love you lots!
Eileen

Bryan said...

Looks like my hair is gonna go bye bye too. :)

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Your sense of humor and strength absolutely amazes me. This week you and your mom have constantly been in my thoughts and prayers. May each day make you stronger and hopefully feel the love that everyone is sending your way.

Take Care. God Bless.
Love,
Amanda Borowczak
and Justin (ofcourse)

Anonymous said...

Kim,
You, your husband and your mom are in my prayers. May God lift you up and keep you strong. I will praying for you often. Keep up the good fight!
Janet Smith

Anonymous said...

Kim,
You and your family will be in my prayers. You are so courageous to openly share the details of what you are facing each day. I truly admire your strength and fortitude. God bless you and heal you as you face this.

Love,
Robin Carter

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I love you dearly and know in my heart that all will be well.

GO! FIGHT! WIN!!!

Love,
LeAnn and family

Melony Booher said...

You are a bad ass!! Even though the news isn't what we wanted - nothing has changed. After next Friday - 7 to go!

Andi said...

Kim,
My blessings, my prayers, my thoughts, my positive vibes, my everything good I can muster up are headed your way. Like Traci said, there is definite power in prayer and you are going to have oodles headed in your direction for you and your family. You are an amazing person with what I know is an amazing support system behind you...that's 99% of the battle...so woohoo!
Take care and much, much love,
Andi

Anonymous said...

You are such a trooper! I am amazed at how strong you are! If you need anything at anytime you call me!!!!!!! I want to see you soon hair or not, energy or not sick or not! Love you!

Jessica Russo

Anonymous said...

Kim,
You are an amazing person. We are all praying for you and know that God is giving you the strength to get through all of this. Love to you and your whole family.
Judy Koss

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Jessica just sent this to me...We are praying for you and love you.
Denise Grone

Anonymous said...

Kim,

BECAUSE HE LIVES, I CAN FACE TOMORROW...God will never give you more than you can handle. You have an entire army behind you to face the battle and you...WE... ALL will face it with you. Your army will be with you at all times.
Our thoughts, prayers, and love are with you and your family.

Shawna Brown

Anonymous said...

Kim.
just wanted you to know that they diagnosed my Pastor with lymphona just a few weeks ago, my chuch prayed and prayed and prayed, when he went back to the dr. they could not find it, believe it in your heart and it will be gone, God is a healer. ;Your name will be added to our prayer list.
Love Gloria Hunter

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, My heart goes out to you girl. My husband and I prayed for you as soon as I saw this link. We will continue to lift you up in prayer:
Dear Father, I am praying for Kim right now. I pray that you give her the grace needed for this journey, and if its in your will please relieve her and heal her from this painful disease. I ask this in Jesus Name. Amen

Love, The Bowers Family