Wednesday, July 23, 2008

5 down...1 to go.

From yesterday's blog, you know I have the Mediport in. Still hurts. I'll post pictures soon. :)

Today I had my MUGA scan and PFT with DLCO. The MUGA scan was fairly easy. Well...I guess "easy" doesn't necessarily describe it. It starts out by taking a sample of blood. I've been trying to ration my veins since every test entails injections of some sort. The bruised veins from last week's fiasco are finally somewhat healed. I used my right arm for the PET scan injection Monday and my hand for the IV for the Mediport surgery yesterday. That left my left arm for today. My tech was very good...she hit the same place as the 2 last week and ran into scar tissue. She ended up having to take it out and do it higher up. Once the blood was drawn, the IV was kept in for 25 minutes while my blood was mixed with radioactive markers.
My Arm:


At least with this test, I was able to wait out in the waiting room with my mom and sister-in-law, Melony (who rearranged her entire schedule to take me today. :) ) After the 25 minutes was up, my blood was injected back in my bloodstream with some other stuff. I was taken to another room to lay down on the scanning machine. That's a fun thing with the Mediport. Takes forever to get adjusted. After about 20 minutes of pictures, my heart shows up on the screen. The tech showed me all the things they're looking for. I also got to see the Mediport. Really cool stuff. And now there's proof I actually have a heart! :)

After that came the PFT with DLCO. That looks like this:


This is a little harder to describe unless you were sitting on the other side of the wall and heard the nurse yell at me. It sounded very comical to them. Basically you sit in this chamber and bite the tube. Your nose is plugged and you breathe through your mouth. Very repetitive. As I suppose breathing is. Anyhow, all at once the nurse yells at you to exhale until you have no breath left and then some. Then you inhale and hold your breath for 10 seconds. This happens about 10 times. Very fun stuff. At least there were no needles involved. I'll take it.

Tomorrow is the bone marrow test. Not looking forward to it. I can't lie...I am looking forward to the narcotic lollipop. I'm very intrigued by this and will let you know how it turns out. 1 MORE TEST TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hey kimmi. Just stopping to check to see how you are doing. finally the week of tests are over. Hopefully no more blood test for 2 weeks! Now you can relax for the weekend. I will call you this weekend. Love you!!!

Melony Booher said...

I would rearrange anything for you - anytime!

Sharon said...

Kim,
You do not know me personally, but we have mutual friends. Amy & my son Stephen Yearout ask me to read your blog. Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone. Your story brought back a lot of memories. I can relate to your story of shopping for a wig. What an experience that was.. I still have my wigs and scarves to this day. It has been almost 13 years since I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Dr. Brooks at Texas Oncology was my doctor. He was great and I liked him a lot.

I don't know if you are feeling the same way I did, but during the time I was going through treatment, nothing seemed real to me. It was like I was dreaming and everything was happening to someone else. I had no real fear, nausea or pain. It was almost as if God was carrying me and keeping me safe during that time... I took 6 months of chemo (CHOP). The prednisone in the chemo caused me to gain weight instead of lose, so I never really felt like a cancer patient except I was bald. If someone ask me to choose only one thing that got me through the cancer treatment, I would have to say "GOD". I am a firm believer in prayer and I don't think I would be here today without it. Many friends and family members fasted and prayed for me. After two sessions of chemo, the catscan showed I was 75% cancer free. I later learned that the other 25% was scar tissue.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a little of my experience. I will be praying for your healing and that you will soon be cancer free. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask. I encourage you to stay positive. Watch comedy programs. Keep company with positive people and laugh as much as you can. "Laughter is good like a medicine." This is not only biblical, but the medical doctor will also tell you the same thing. I wish the very best for you.
God Bless You!
Sharon