Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Here goes...

Today, July 16, 2008, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma.

As many of you know, I found a lump on my neck back in March. My doctor told me it was probably a swollen lymphnode or built up scar tissue from an infection. I was put on an antibiotic and when it didn't go away, I had a couple of CAT scans done...one in April, the next in June. The results for both scans came back the same...the lump had neither gone away nor had it increased in size. My doctor spoke to a radiologist and a surgeon and they all agreed that removing it would be best. So...I had surgery on July 3rd.

The surgery went well and my surgeon said everything looked good...he would be shocked if anything came from it. My "lump" traveled everywhere. Started in Austin, then on to the northeast and to San Francisco. While it was vacationing (as my husband says), we were anxiously awaiting results. After 5 pathologists looked at it, I finally got them: Hodgkin's lymphoma.

I proved to be as difficult and stubborn in my medical history as I am with my personality. I managed to fool both doctors and 2 CAT scans. I had no typical symptoms of lymphoma, including fever, night sweats or significant weight loss. I've had a low grade fever on and off and some weight loss, but neither that would classify in the "significant" category. My lump didn't grow as it should have and it also wasn't necrotic in the middle. Both classical of Hodgkin's. To no fault of them, both my doctor and my surgeon were as shocked as I was.

My doctor called. He broke the news to me and informed me of the next step. I was referred to an oncologist and more CAT scans were ordered. I had a 3:00 appointment today with my surgeon to remove the bandages. My doctor had ordered the CAT scans asap and after leaving the surgeon's office, we went to my next appointment. Arriving at 4:30, I started the first 16 oz. bottle of flavored Readi-Cat 2, Barium Sulfate Suspension. I had to drink two in a 30 minute time period. Let me described these if you've never had one: it has the taste and consistency of Elmer's glue. Even though they're supposedly flavored (one apple, one berry). Yuck. At 6:30, my scans started. I had a head, chest, abdomen, and pelvis scan. First without an injected contrast dye and then again with the dye. I was finally done at 8 pm.

Sheesh. What a day. And this is only the beginning...

2 comments:

Adwell said...

Oh, Miss Kim. You and that husband of yours crack me up, what with your "lump's vacation" and what-not.

You've got my full support and love.

Anonymous said...

So when I heard about this from mom, my first thought was, "No biggie. She's strong and she'll totally beat this." I genuinely feel that way. Not to downplay what it is...I just know that you'll get the best of it.

LOVE TO YOU!

Michelle