Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas and (more) tattoos

I've written in the past about the loss, and gain, of friendships over my illness. I try to not dwell on the friendships lost, but embrace the friendships gained...for these are the few that I will forever cherish. When I was diagnosed, my mom promised a tattoo when I was officially diagnosed in remission. Many months later, she and four other family members held true to their promises. And now I add one more.

Last year at this time, a promise was made to me in passing at my cancer free surprise party. I've known Tanner for many years now. We've traveled, been to many a punk rock show, and hung out in hospitals together over the years. And yesterday, he did this:


It was an honor when my family did it. To mark something permanently on your skin for someone else is no less than amazing to me. And that FIVE people did it...wow. And now Tanner. I am beyond honored that someone NOT related to me would do such a thing. I had to laugh, though, in his description. Apparently it hurt like hell. :) So, thank you, Tanner. You've just proved that whoever doesn't get a tattoo isn't a real friend. Ha! Kidding.




I happened to be wearing this shirt yesterday. Funny. I wear it sometimes, but not often. And I never get asked about it. But yesterday, I did. We went to eat and a guy asked what I was a survivor of. He gave me a high five and a "God bless" when I told him lymphoma, but I was in remission.



Now I must go. Still have stuff to do before tomorrow. Oh and on a sidenote...Tanner made Mom and I beautiful glass vases for Christmas. He does pinstriping and is awesome at it. I will post pics of those in the next couple of days. :)

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

mom said...

Once again, Tanner, I think you are awesome! I love you!! My Kimberly, I would do another tattoo in a heartbeat for you. How about in honor of every 20 years of remission? Ha! I love you so much......

Anonymous said...

Eric got a ribbon too:) shelley