Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas, family, tattoos, and surprises. What a great combination!

Here it is Sunday night again and I've neglected to post since last week. So much has happened, too. What a shame. Let me recap the past week for you.

Shelley and Eric left early this morning to drive back to Colorado. We had so much fun while they were here. Shell and I spent the majority of our time together and left Matt and Eric to fend for themselves. While they were out playing golf and pool, we shopped, went to a movie (the last movie we saw together in a theater was Never Been Kissed circa 1999), baked cookies, got our hair done, gossiped and ate and drank lots. I have lots of pictures I intend on posting soon. Shelley cut off all her hair to donate to Locks of Love. I have all of those pics so I went ahead and posted them. This was also the first Christmas we've spent together in over 10 years.

I wrote last week that the plan was to get tattoos on Friday. Well...we did. Here's what happened: my dad and his wife, Olga, came over to my house on Friday for our Christmas. At the house were me, Matt, Shelley, Eric, Bryan, Melony, Mom, and my aunt, Karola. All of a sudden, our dogs start going nuts. I finally went to look out the front door and see 2 stray dogs standing in our yard. Shelley, Melony and Matt all want to open the door to see the dogs. I'm very opposed to this suggestion because of Phoebe, who plows at the glass door and usually manages to get it open. We've already had one bloody Christmas involving the dogs...I didn't want another. Finally, ignoring my logical suggestion, Shelley and Mel open the door and standing there (with their dogs) are my aunt, Marsha, cousins Lindsey and Travis and Lindsey's boyfriend, Troy. They drove down from Colorado to surprise me! Which, I might add, they did and did very well. I was told they came down to get tattoos with us. There really was another reason why, but I'll get to that. So we wrap up Christmas with Dad and head to Randy Adams.

Going are me, Matt, Mom, Melony, Shelley, Eric, Karola, Marsha, Travis, Lindsey and Troy. All were getting tattoos except Matt, Mel and Karola. You read that right, folks. Even my MOM got a tattoo!! She promised me 6 months ago that when I beat cancer, she would get one with me to commemorate my success. That's what happened in a moment of weakness. :) I have pictures of everyone getting tattoos, but somehow left out the final pictures of what they looked like. Duh. So once I get them all collected from everyone, I'll post them. All of us girls got a purple ribbon. All of them different, too. Troy got a star and Eric got an eagle (holding a purple ribbon).

So the next day, we go to Matt's parents house for a family get together. My brother told me he wanted everyone over for dinner that night at 6 so we left Matt's parent's house at about 5:45. We stop at Mom's house first for shots with Eric:I won't get into the whole "not going to Mom's house first, but going straight to Bry's house" controversary. This is shocking and you might want to sit down for it, but...I can be very stubborn sometimes. I know, right? Aren't you floored? ;) Anyway...after the shots, we walk over to Bry's house. When I open the back door expecting dinner, there are about a million people in his living room shouting "Surprise!!!" at me. Yep...a cancer free surprise party! Hosting are my mom and Melony, who've been planning this since the first appointment at my oncologist. That's the real reason for the surprise visit the night before. I couldn't believe it...I was speechless. If you know me, that's a very hard thing to do. All the food was either in the shape of a ribbon or purple. The first person I hugged was my brother and then Melony. I won't tell you what I whispered in her ear, either. Here's the video of my entrance: Cancer Free Party. Thanks to Mel's sister, Margie, for the video. I'll post pictures when I get them from everyone and upload them. I'm sure the look on my face was pure embarrassment. Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of being the center of attention. (Say that with sarcasm...)

Tonight was Lindsey's birthday. We went to eat to celebrate. I needed today to rest and then I'm all theirs tomorrow. I'm not sure what she has planned. :)

Sorry for the long post. Guess I can remedy that by writing more often, eh? Thanks for reading and goodnight!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I hate it that we issed your celebration!!! Joe and I have both been under the weather on and off for the past week! You should come out during the week and visit before you have to go back to school!

Sarah said...

Kim, sorry I missed the big party. Fred's mom has been in and out of the hospital all week. Sounds like you had a great time! Enjoy the rest of your break and get some rest.
A Very Happy New Year!!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Me(shelley) and eric had a blast!!! We didn't want to leave. We miss you guys already. Have a Happy New Year! Love You!

Andi said...

Now...you guys know how to have a Christmas vacation! HOW FUN! Happy New Year:) And YAY Mom for the TAT!
Andi