Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This day.

Today is my birthday.  

Today I am 30 years old.  

Today was a day of celebration.  

A celebration of family.  

A celebration of love.  

And most importantly, a celebration of life.

Today was a day to be thankful for living another year...no matter the age.  I've been called several things today (old hag, old lady, etc).  My girlfriend and co-worker, Erin, even made me a cake today with skulls and crossbones on it.  All in good fun, of course.  But here's the thing:  it's not important how old I am.  What's important is that I'm able to celebrate another year.  And at times recently, I didn't think that would be possible.  

I know that parents are supposed to love you unconditionally.  I also know that that doesn't happen to everyone and I count my lucky stars that mine do.  Tonight my mom told me she loved me.  That, to anyone who knows my family, isn't unusual.  But she also told me how excited she was 30 years ago.  How lucky she was to have me.  And I don't think a child ever gets tired of hearing that from a parent.  

So I wanted to thank everyone for all the kind words today.  And all of the birthday wishes.  And especially to everyone who took time out of their life to celebrate mine.  I don't think I've ever enjoyed a birthday so much.

Good night.

3 comments:

Nothing said...

Yay! Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Just remember that your mom was ALSO the one who made fun of your pants that day, too.

I love you. mr

Jessica Elliott said...

okay so why did that make me cry?! i feel like a wimp....but ill accept it. i hope you had a wonderful day....sure seems like you did! happy belated birthday, sorry i didnt tell you on your special day....xoxoxo