Sunday, April 19, 2009

And another...

Today is Peanut's birthday. He's our Dachshund and he's 6 years old.

Story time! When we got him, Matt and I weren't looking for a puppy. Our family dog, Mitzi, had recently passed away and Mom finally decided (with a little nudging from me) that it was time to get another puppy. One of the ladies at her school had a Dachshund that just had puppies. One day, she wanted to know if I would go over to the house to look at the pups. So we get there and go inside and there are all these little, tiny puppies running all over the place! There were 6 in the litter. Mom found the one she wanted...a little piebald pup with blue eyes named Lacey. As I'm sitting on the floor playing with the pups, one, his name was Dewey, starts playing tug-of-war with my shoelaces. He finally tires himself out and crawls into my lap. And falls asleep. Well...I knew at that moment I had to have him. But remember...we weren't looking.

The pups weren't quite ready to be given new homes, yet. So the weekend they were, the owner asked me if I could puppysit him. The others in the litter were going somewhere else and Mom was taking her new little one (now named Maggie) so I agreed. Matt was still hesitant. At the time, we had just moved in together and he didn't feel the timing was right. Until we walked in the door on Friday with the pups. We put them on the floor and they both went running right to him. That was it...he was hooked. Mom had them both for the night because Matt and I were going to be out late. When we left Mom's house, Dewey starts running after our car! The next morning Mom dropped them both off early because they had a Saturday work day. Matt came downstairs and said he wanted to keep him, too. We had gained a puppy and we named him Peanut.

So, here's to Peanut and Maggie! They're still as needy and spoiled as the day we got them. :)

Peanut

Maggie

3 comments:

Bryan said...

Happy Birthday, Nutters!!

"Uncle" Bryan

Bryan said...

And Maggie too!!

Mom said...

Aren't they sweet puppies??? We got lucky, didn't we?