Sunday, December 21, 2008

I have a money tree out back. Don't you??

Just a warning: this is pretty much how it'll be from now on. I don't have much to update on here since my journey with cancer is at an end. My next appointment is in February, so until then, there will be lags in my blogging. But...that's a good thing. Right? Right!

I'm having some turmoil in the removal of my port. I thought about having it taken out now, but I wanted to have one holiday where I didn't have anything cancer-related. No surgeries, no chemo, no radiation. I wanted to enjoy this holiday...have fun and rest. I'm still terribly exhausted. Since I've worked full-time during all of my treatments, I haven't had much time to rest and fully recover. I'm hoping these 2 weeks off work will do the trick. Not that I'm complaining. I wouldn't have gone through this any other way. Off track...back to the port. My next thought was to have it out during Spring Break, but the superstitious side of my brain is overriding the logical side. I'm due to have a PET scan in 4 months...I want to have another all clear before I get the port out. I think...

I have a friend going through some health issues right now, as well. She mentioned in her blog about the cost of the procedure and whatnot. It sparked an idea...I'm going to total up the cost of my cancer treatment. I'm not sure of the total (and can't really even guess), but thank goodness for my insurance. I know off hand that the Neupogen shots were over $5700.00. For 20. I had over 30 shots. Yikes.

Off the subject...Shelley and Eric are here. We're having fun so far just visiting and lounging around the house. Mom, Bryan, Melony and I went to the Nutcracker tonight. Say what you want about the ballet, but I love the music. And the guys in tights aren't bad, either. ;) Tomorrow Shelley and I are going shopping. On Wednesday, we're getting our hair done. Shelley and my other cousin, Lindsey, started growing out their hair when they found out about my cancer diagnosis. Now Shelley's is long enough to cut and donate to Locks of Love. Lindsey's doing hers soon, too. I was very touched by this. They knew how hard it was going to be on me losing my hair (which I didn't!) and this was their way of helping me. And in turn, others. Very sweet. And now that mine has stopped falling out, I'm going to get it darker again. It's lightened a lot due to the chemo. They say your hair grows back differently after chemo. I'm anxious to see how mine will be. I'm hoping dark and thick. :) The plan is to get my tattoo on Friday. We'll see.

Better go now. Have to rest up to shop. Thanks and goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked the men in tights too!! We really had a good time, didn't we?
I love you so much
Mom