Thursday, May 7, 2009

Potpourri...and not the smelly good kind.

I was recently interviewed for our Special Ed Newsletter for the district. Here's what was written:

Teacher of the Year

Kim Riggle is the Teacher of the Year for Moseley Elementary and the sole Special Education teacher among the district Teachers of the Year for this school year. Kim graduated from UTA (Bachelors) and UNT (Masters). She began teaching in the Structured Learning Class (SLC) program at Florence Hill before moving to Moseley Elementary when it opened two years ago. Kim originally attended school to learn how to use Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) with animals. However, while doing home therapy with a child with Autism, she found enjoyment and satisfaction applying similar techniques. To share Kim’s words- “I don’t teach ordinary kids... my kids are the most amazing kids ever.” According to Ms. Milham, Moseley principal, Kim is calm despite her challenging students. She demonstrates a high level of skill with her students and is well liked by students throughout the building. The staff was impressed by her courage and fortitude during a health crisis that did not adversely affect her professional duties.


Congratulations Mrs. Riggle!

That's a picture with my principal. I'm sure she'll appreciate me putting it up. She's welcome. :)

If the "economy" hasn't "affected" you and you're in the mood to donate money, here are a couple of good donation sites. The first is by the American Cancer Society and their Relay for Life. This team was formed by the Student Council at our high school in honor of current and former students fighting cancer: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?team_id=494272&fr_id=17453&pg=team The next is for a friend of friend training for the Team in Training by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: http://pages.teamintraining.org/ntx/nikesf09/lstewart The next is for my personal bank account. For, ya know..."research". Contact me for details.

I've finally made the appointment to get my port taken out. It's been a hard decision for me in ways I can't describe, but the time has come. The date is set for May 14th. And I'm asking to keep it. Hopefully, they'll let me and I'll post a picture.

And last...I've officially booked my trip for Jamaica this summer! Every year, my mom, aunt Karola, cousin Shelley, and I take a trip. We call it our Mother/Daughter trip--the creativity flows when the 4 of us get together. We only started 2 years ago. We went to California and Nevada. Last year we went all over the East Coast. This year, JAMAICA! Here's a video from our first trip...if you're bored, have 15 minutes to kill, and are interested in seeing pics only of us and scenery:

Anyhow...hope to update later...post surgery.

Thanks for reading. Goodnight!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so excited for all of the good that has come your way. I will be keeping you in my prayers...for the physical and emotional scars that need healing. Love you!

Bryan said...

The only reason the "creativity flows" with you four is the copious amounts of wine that are consumed! ;)

Anonymous said...

Bryan, It's BOXED WINE! Love you all, Shelley:)

Mom said...

We will not be needing the BOXED WINE this year....will we girls!!! The drinks will be flowing freely. :)