Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Things can only get better...

In my last post, I mentioned that I had a cold. That is getting better...my morning, however, did not. I had one of those mornings/days where things could only get better. And they did, in fact. For the most part. This is how it started out:

Last night I was backing out of the garage with Matt to meet his family for dinner. I got a wee bit close to the side of the garage with the mirror. He gasped in horror, then promptly apologized, saying, "I guess you're more used to doing this since you do it everyday." Thanks for the well-timed jinx. Can you see where this is going? Backing out this morning, I hit the mirror on the side of the garage. Yeah. It only knocked off the cover to the mirror, so I popped it back on...thinking I was smarter than the car. Wrong. Driving down the highway I notice the mirror dangling by the wires. My car is new. Have I mentioned that? Yep...a new Volvo s40. I've owned it for about 9 months. I actually found my Hodgkin's lump on the day we bought our car. More precisely, at the dealership. Anyhow...

When I got to school, I slipped and fell. The combination of the rain, the wet tile, and my black ballerina-type shoes didn't quite mesh well together. I fell in the hallway. On my bottom. In front of 2 students. Well...I say my bottom, but my swollen, bruised thigh might disagree. It's about the size of a...a...um...well, I'm kinda at a loss here. It's pretty big. Let's just say that. Bruised and swollen enough you could see the "bulge" through my pants. (Ha! Sorry...I just reread that sentence and that's not exactly how I meant that to come out. But I'm leaving it 'cause it's funny...) The 2 students were stunned and quick to make sure I wasn't hurt. Nope...just my thigh and my pride. Nothing big.

Had radiation to top it all off. That's going swimmingly, I might add. It took a little longer yesterday because they did more x-rays. They'll do that every 5-7 treatments to make sure everything is still in the right place. I'm just now starting to get a sore throat. The previous one must have been the result of my cold. I'm tired, like usual. The actual radiation and, more importantly, going everyday is starting to take it's toll on me. And I was just starting to catch up on my 3 months lack of sleep. This has the opposite effect, it seems. I can sleep, at least, but so soundly that I feel groggy all day. I see the doctor tomorrow. I'll see him at least once a week. This isn't going to be my radiation oncologist, though. He's out of town for a few weeks, so I'll see the fill-in doctor.

Enough whining...here's the something "fun" I promised in the last post. The following is a list of "notable cases" (as Wiki puts it) of Hodgkin's disease, pulled straight from Wiki itself:


Gerald Finzi, English composer. Died of the disease in 1956 aged 55.

Luke Menard, American Idol Season 7 contestant. Diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2008.

Mark Fields Former NFL player forced to retire in 2004 from the disease.

Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder, was diagnosed and treated for Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1983.

The actor Richard Harris died of Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2002 after filming Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as main character Albus Dumbledore.

Former NHL star Mario Lemieux was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in January 1993. Even after taking 2 months off, Lemieux ended up winning the scoring title that year.

Lynden David Hall died of Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2006.

Barry Watson, an actor who gained fame in the television series 7th Heaven, had successfully treated Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Roger Patterson, who filmed the Patterson-Gimlin film what he claimed to be Bigfoot in Northern California in 1967. Died of Hodkin's disease in 1972.

Delta Goodrem, Australian singer, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in July 2003.

Former head of NBC Entertainment, Brandon Tartikoff, died in 1997 after a 25 year battle with Hodgkin's disease.

U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) was diagnosed with Phase IVB Hodgkin's Disease in 2005, underwent 5 months of chemotherapy, and received a clean bill of health. On April 15 2008, he announced that his Hodgkin's had returned.

British actor Roger Tonge who played the disabled Sandy Richardson in the cult British soap opera Crossroads in the 1960s and 1970s died of Hodgkin's Disease in 1981 at the age of 35.

Alese Coco One of the most notable non-celebrities to have Hodgkin's disease. Known worldwide as a torch bearer for Hodgkin's research. Died at 23 years old.

WWE wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper was announced to have been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2006.

John Millington Synge, the Irish author best known for the play The Playboy of the Western World, died in 1909 from the disease.

Dinu Lipatti, the Romanian pianist, died of Hodgkin's disease in 1950, 33 years old.

Wayne Shelford, aka 'Buck' Shelford, former All Black rugby player for New Zealand.

Elizabeth Madox Roberts, a noted Kentucky poet and novelist, died from Hodgkin's in 1941.

Joy Hester, a noted Australian artist, died from Hodgkin's in 1960.

Emma Lazarus, Jewish American poetess, writer of the New Colossus, died of Hodgkin's disease on 19 November 1887.

Martin Fry, vocalist with ABC, was treated for Hodgkin's Disease in 1985/86.

Journalist Giles Smith describes his bout with Hodgkin's in his memoir Lost in Music; he refers to the fact that Martin Fry (above) had the same condition.

James Whitham, motorcycle racer, was treated for Hodgkin's Disease in 1995/96.

Glen Goins, singer and guitarist for Parliament Funkadelic died from Hodgkin's Disease in 1978.

Alexander Litvinov, a Russian rock poet and musician, died from Hodgkin's Disease in 1999.

Jamie Tape AFL Footballer

Freida Riley, an American schoolteacher who inspired the Rocket Boys, died of Hodgkin's Disease in 1969 at the age of 31. The movie October Sky was made in honor of her and the Rocket boys.

Jane Austen, one of the most famous authors of English literature, died in 1817 aged 41. Previously it has been thought she died of Addison's disease; however, more recently speculation has suggested that it may have been Hodgkin's disease instead.

Seumas McNally, a computer game programmer and president of Longbow Digital Arts, died on March 21, 2000; he was diagnosed with the disease three years earlier.

Famous American writer Dale Carnegie died of Hodgkin's disease in 1955.

Michael Cuccione, member of the spoof boy band, 2ge+her, was treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 1994/95. He died from complications related to his treatment in 2001.

Knut Schreiner of Turbonegro was diagnosed with the disease in March of 2008.

Martyn Bennett One of Scotland's most talented musicians died of Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2005. He was 33 years old.

There is also a list of "cultural references" on Wiki, if you're interested. Hope you enjoyed reading that.

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

Jessica said...

What a day hun! Sorry about the bruised thigh and you car. Ouch!

Jessica Elliott said...

What a day! Hey, at least you are in an elementary school and not a high school. That may have been a tad more humiliating. Okay, not sure if I actually enjoyed the "fun" facts you shared. Mixed emotions on that one. I'm not keen and accepting of this word "died" that was used a time or 'ten'. That word will not be allowed in our vocabulary :) So there! Oh, and just a little p.s. I love the Volvo s40! Great choice, even if it does have a hanging mirror :) Well, enough of my thoughts, you get that big 'ol swollen 'thigh' healed and keep entertaining us with your eventful stories!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Nice word usage with "swimmingly." Is the bruise on your thigh as big as your mouth? If it is, then that's REALLY big!

Love you.

. said...

Kim,

Please know that you are in our prayers...

Stay strong, stay focused and Fight 2 Win,

The Coco's

Anonymous said...

Those are not "fun" facts, Kim! You have a warped sense of humor, but I still love you. :)
Mom

Linda. F. said...

Falling at school, well, falling ANYWHERE is NO FUN! I fell at school about three years ago. Just like in the cartoons, a toy on the floor in the 5th grade hall. I didn't see it and when I walked around the corner, my whole body went straight up in the air like the banana dance cartoon characters always do! All that and nobody gave me a cigar for the trouble either! ((Hugs)) To you and sending you much positive energy.

Anonymous said...

Hey there - just got caught up on your last 3 posts. I'm so sorry that the radiation is wearing on you. I wish there was something else I could say.

I did finish my last chemo today! Few more weeks of feeling crappy then up hill from there. I hope that you don't experience too many side effects from radiation and since you're a freak of nature - hopefully you won't.

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to say I agree with your mom. NOT fun facts! It was probably your bruised thigh talking. :)