Monday, November 3, 2008

I won an award!

I started my radiation today. I was so nervous about it all day. Not about the radiation, per se, but about that stupid (and some other choice words) mask. I've worn it a couple of times, yes, but just the idea of putting it on terrifies me. My palms sweat, my face turns red. It's absolutely dreadful. Here's the radiation process:

I sign in at the front, like usual, but instead of waiting in the waiting room, I'm given a code to open the door to the radiation section. I change into a gown and wait. Debra came to get me. I lay on the table and she and Richard get ready to work. I'm re-introduced to Richard (smile) and he remembers me by my "cool tattoo". Uh-huh. I did, however, win 2 awards while there: the coolest tattoo award and the cutest patient award. I tell you what...if they're going to compliment me every time I go, I'm not opposed to going everyday. :) Anyhow, I've posted it before, but here's the radiation machine again:

Once I'm on the table, they fit the mask on. I did ask Debra if she could cut the eye holes a little bigger. She said no problem, but I told her if it's a pain, not to worry about it. Well, Richard said it was and I lost a point for that. I said they were harsh, but he assured me my points will start over tomorrow. After cutting the eyes a tad bigger, the mask is back on and the panicking begins. It doesn't take quite as long to calm down this time. There's music playing in the background and if I can concentrate on that, I'm okay. They move me around to line me up with the lasers. I'm given another mark right under my collar bone. No tattoo this time...just Sharpie. I'm not allowed to do any of the moving...they do it all. I am putty in their hands. A direct quote from them. A little tug to this side on my hips, a little push to the other side on my shoulder. By the time they're done, I'm like a contortionist. They did the radiation to the front and came in to tell me they were halfway done. The machine is flipped around and I'm given radiation to my back. This whole process takes about 10 minutes. Not too long.

Matt gave me the strategy of trying to think of something else when the mask is on to calm me down. Today, however, it took so long to think about what I wanted to think about, they were already done! Once the radiation was done and the mask was off, I went to wait to see the doctor. He came in and talked to me briefly. When he left, I was done and free to leave. And the whole thing happens again tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that. 1 down, 19 more to go!

Over the weekend, Mom and I went to the Light the Night in Frisco for fun. The weather was beautiful and we had a lot of fun (and I got some much needed exercise!) Pictures are, of course, posted. You can't see it in the pictures, but the shirt I have on says "survivor" on the back. I got it at the last walk. Not quite a "survivor" yet, but getting close!

Must go to bed now. Have to get up early tomorrow and try to vote. I'm praying that the lines aren't too long.

Thanks and goodnight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, only 19 more to go...you can do it (I know, easy for me to say)! Then we can celebrate big time.
I love you so much it hurts...:)
Mom

Andi said...

OK...Your posts always make me smile...the funny parts that is...not the scary mask stuff...and your mom's comment just made me tear...Thanks Ann!
It's almost over...and I'll be praying for you til it is!